Helpful Roofing Terminology

So you’ve made the decision to replace your roof, congratulations! However, when you meet with your contractor and insurance adjuster to review your estimate, you realize you’re not quite sure what it all means. That’s okay! Roofing terminology can be tricky; don’t risk being taken advantage of. Familiarizing yourself with these words before taking the next step in your roof replacement process will benefit your peace of mind, and possibly your pocketbook.

Bundle: A package of shingles (3-4 bundles are used per square*).
Decking: The base which the entire roofing system is dependent, can be made of steel, concrete, cement or wood.
Felt: A flexible sheet used to prevent moisture from getting to the wood, and to provide a barrier between the wood and the shingle to protect the shingles.
Flashing: Sheet metal (or other material) installed below the shingles to protect the siding, pipes and chimney from water seepage or wind.
Pitch: The angle of a roof, calculated by the number of inches it rises vertically for every 12 inches it extends horizontally.
Ridge: The horizontal area where two sloped roof areas meet.
Roof Ventilation: Designed to remove hot air and moisture from your attic. There are several options for roof ventilation depending on your individual needs, but turbines, ridge vents and power vents are used most frequently.
Square: Unit of roof measurement covering 100 sq. feet.
Rake: Put simply a “rake” is an edge on a roof that is not parallel to the ground, or an edge, that has a pitch to it.
30 Year Shingle: Architectural/laminate, two shingles adhered together to facilitate a layered look.
20/25 Year Shingle: 3-Tab, gaps between each tab, flat shingle
Class IV: Impact resistant, not proof.

Share us with your friends


Featured Home ItemContact Us